New in the Shop!

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sewing Again - Crazy Floral Top

I've been playing with my sewing machine again! I fell madly in love with some bizarre purple and green floral cotton lawn (or voile, or whatever -it's soft, thin, and almost sheer) a few weeks ago. Florals are trendy this year, and the garish lime green pleases me so much, so I was entirely justified in attempting to make a shirt, right?

I used a pattern from BurdaStyle; the printed tunic/clean cut dress.

I modified the neckline and sleeve length, and shortened the overall length. I also made it more fitted and shaped in the waist, added darts for fit, and fiddled about with the sizing. There are a few irritating fit issues in the back neck and shoulder, but I'll deal. I'm still learning, after all.

Pardon the wrinkles - I'd had it on for an afternoon of shopping and car rides by this point. I'd love to style it with a wide belt, but I don't have one. I would have one if I didn't keep blowing my entire clothing budget on more fabric. So many pretty things in the works!

See the weird fit problem? It likes to crawl up the back of my neck and go all poofy/pointy in the shoulders. I'm currently working on the same pattern in another fabric and I think I've got it under control. I'm short and round-shouldered - apparently they don't draft patterns for that. How dare they?

I'll share my next attempt soon!

 

4 comments:

  1. you honestly amaze me! oh man i wish i could sew! i just get so damn terrified of the machine. haha it looks lovely! you look amazing! i love this top! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and I love the neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so talented to modify patterns to your liking! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete