New in the Shop!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Tasty Thing: 5 Minute Udon Soup

Guess what I am eating RIGHT NOW? This!


That was it about 3 minutes ago - now it is in a bowl because I'm fancy like that.

Udon soup is filling, tasty, healthy, and extremely quick and easy to prepare. It's perfect for those days where you need something warm and substantial but don't have the time.

Want some? Make some!
  1. Get a pot. Put some water in it (1 - 2 cups, depending on your serving size). Put it over heat and mix in a bouillon cube or - my personal favourite - a spoonful of Better Than Bouillon (a disgusting looking goo that makes really tasty low-sodium stock, is made with all the good stuff, and comes in Vegan Certified versions. I got it at Costco but I've seen it at the grocery store too). You could, of course, use nice homemade stock, but I'm puts-her-soup-in-a-bowl fancy, not always-has-homemade-stock-on-hand-because-she-lives-in-a-cookbook fancy.
  2. While you are waiting for it to boil, go through the fridge and find a few vegetables that are suitable for boiling (carrots: good, cucumber: bad). Break them into chunks (I'm to lazy to cut things up) and throw them in. Today I used broccoli, mushrooms, and bok choi.
  3. Bring to a boil, and let it cook for a minute. Add a single serving package of soft udon noodles (I get mine for about 50 cents a package at my Asian grocer) and add a handful of frozen cooked shrimp or leftover meat, if you want to. I want to. Yum.
  4. Boil for 3 minutes.
  5. Put it in a bowl, garnish it with a squirt of Sriracha or if you like it spicy (I do!) and arm yourself with a fork/spoon/chopsticks. Dig in.
This makes a big bowl of soup - enough for a hungry person's dinner - and it beats the pants off the Cup-O-Noodles you were planning on eating.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go finish my lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment