New in the Shop!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

An Introspective Post - Last Year's Goals: Crafty and Otherwise

Well, the year is new and goals are on my mind. As I said last year, I'm not so much into resolutions, but I do like to take a little while each year to think about my plans for the next three hundred and sixty five days. If you haven't scrolled far enough down in my blog to notice, I also keep a crafty goals list in the sidebar. I like this because I feel like it keeps me accountable, and it's a reminder of how my crafting life and interests change and grow.

So how did I do?

Last year's life goals were:
  • Double our savings. Didn't quite get this one - missed it by a few hundred dollars. But still, we were really really close. Considering how our costs of living have gone up, and that I started my business out-of-pocket rather than through any sort of loan, I'm really proud. Go us.
  • Write something that isn't a blog post or status update. Does Twitter count? No? Ah, well that's a fail then.
  • Read. Often. Epic, embarrassing, pathetic non-completion of goal there too. I think I read three books this year, and that's a generous estimate.
  • Improve my physical, emotional, and mental health. I both won and lost on this one. I'm in better physical condition that I was, but I still need improvement. I'm as fat as ever, which isn't something I consider a problem, but my energy levels, balance, and stamina are far better than they were at this time last year.
  • Lay the groundwork for a crafty business of some sort. Hell yes I succeeded at this one. I love my dyeing business. It isn't exactly lucrative, but it's satisfying and self-sustaining.
The crafty goals list did pretty well this year!
  • Knit Rei's diaper covers. I have knitted way too many soakers. I am never knitting another one again.
  • Learn to Spin. I totally owned this goal.
  • Knit a Triangular Lace Shawl. I present my Haruni as evidence:
  • Establish Store. Sell things! Heck yes!
  • Participate in a Sockdown challenge on Ravelry. Yep! I love this monthly knit-along. I like to try and work my sock knitting goals in with the monthly themes.
  • J's fingerless mitts. He wears them every day. They have held up very well!
  • Christmas Tree Skirt. Yep! I made a ruffled tree skirt, inspired by this tutorial on the Prudent Baby blog. I never got a good picture, but it looks awesome. I'll show it off next winter - Christmas is all put away.
  • Advent Calendar. I made the most adorable quilted advent calendar. Again, it's all put away, so I'll show it off, maybe with a tutorial, when the season is right.
  • Christmas Stocking for Em. I've not even started this one.
  • Christmas Stocking for Jake. Or this one.
  • Christmas Stocking for Rei. This one's about a quarter done. Considering that I started in January, I'm unimpressed with my progress.
  • Knit something special from my own hand spun, hand dyed yarn. I'm going to show these off in their own post. Suffice it to say that yes, yes I did.
  • Learn to knit intarsia. Nope. Don't really have the right project in mind.
  • Mixed media paintings for master bedroom. Nope. I've got a cool idea, but it's been on hold.
  • Redo Rei's room - paint, revamp dresser, wall art etc. We decided to do this for Rei's birthday later this month. Awesome before-and-after post to come!
  • Something Quilty. The advent calendar definitely applies! Also all the satshing away of quilting fabric... right?
So, there you have it. It's been a good year. I've done a lot of what I set out to do, and a lot more besides. I'll check in soon with this year's new goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment