New in the Shop!

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Tempest Cardigan: It's Super Effective!

So, normally I do a shop update on Mondays, but some sad family stuff happened, so no update for you. Next week. I promise.

Instead, I'd like to share my latest FO (finished object, for those not in the know). This is the Tempest Cardigan; a free Knitty pattern by Ann Weaver. Ms. Weaver's designs are my kind of brilliant. She walks the line between simple classic and edgy punk with finesse. She also designs in an excellent size range which my big fat measurements truly appreciate. I hate being excluded by awesome patterns. It's like being picked last in gym class; a feeling with which I am intimately acquainted.

Note to self: lose the "how you doin'?" face. It isn't working.
I made the 49" size at a slightly smaller gauge, getting the 47" spot on, as I had hoped. This sweater fits so perfectly.

Note to self: the insomniac-deer-in-headlights face isn't particularly come-hither either.
I did modify the pattern somewhat. I added 4 rows in the button band, because it looked narrow on such a large size. Rather than picking up stitches all along the bottom and folding up a hem, I picked up and knit a couple inches of garter stitch because the sweater is just not long enough to flatter my body type. I also did away with the 4 large stripes the pattern calls for on the bottom of the sleeves, because my arms are short and I push my sleeves to my elbows anyway, and did a garter stitch border in the spirit of consistency and matchy-ness.


The only change I would make, in hindsight, would be to keep the waist shaping where it is, but move the narrow stripes down a bit. Seeing as the pattern is written with the stripes defining what happens with the shaping, that would be a pain in the ass mod that I would only do in hindsight and not actually in reality. It would be more flattering, but I really can't be arsed.


I used 6 1/3 skeins (For reals. This sweater cost 20 bucks. I am pleased by this) of Knit Picks Shadow laceweight yarn in Nocturne and Oregon coast, held double. Knitting stripes you normally have 2 balls, and it's more than a little annoying having 4 balls dangling off your... wow. Um... 

*clears throat* The buttons are brass, from Fabricland, where my membership discount is getting lots of exercise this year.


It's getting lots of wear, and it really is pilling abysmally. I knew it would and I have a lint shaver thingy so I'm not bothered; but do keep that in mind if you decide to use this yarn in a sweater project. Also, 9 of the 15 buttons fell off the first time I wore it, in an apparent fit of pique. One very long length of extra heavy sewing thread later and we were good to go.


I've finally made a sweater I love. This leaves me hopeful for the future. Now, if you'll please cue the end credits, my sweater and I would like to walk off into the sunset together.

1 comment:

  1. Well done!
    Beautiful sweater, cute you!
    Nadya Marimont,
    Russia

    ReplyDelete