New in the Shop!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Links - For the Failed Bookworm


credit


One of my goals this year was to read more. I've always been an avid reader, but since Rei was born I just don't find the time. That's not true - I don't make the time, and that's where I fail. When I was pregnant I was incredibly nauseous and dizzy for about four months - I could barely walk around, and staring at a computer or TV screen was out of the question. If memory serves me, I read thirty six books that summer. I think I've read five since. Pathetic. Anyhow, I decided to share some of my favourite book related links this week. Some use book pages as craft components, others leave the books whole. They are all very pretty though - paper crafts are delightful.


I want to make it clear that I don't advocate senseless book destruction - particularly if the other option is actually reading the book. If you just need book pages for crafting, and it doesn't matter what's on them, check out your local thrift store for the most boring-looking, generic thing you can find. Chances are it's there because nobody else wanted to read it either. Phonebooks, user manuals for old appliances, and mail flyers are a great recycling option.


Get the links after the jump!

  1. I love these Book shelves - I made some of my own and people who visit seem quite impressed with them. I just wish my knickknacks were as cool as the ones in the tutorial pic!
  2. This beautiful gift bow is made from a magazine page, but any printed paper would look lovely - including book pages!
  3. Check out this tutorial for folding paper flowers - it includes the instructions to turn them into a lovely ball hanging ornament.
  4. Just in case you're actually in the mood to keep and read your books instead of take scissors to them, have a look at these 'gold' bookends.
  5. Hang these simple sewn paper ornaments year round (or get to the festive crafting early...)
So, get craftin', people. I'm going to go choose a book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment