New in the Shop!

Monday, May 20, 2013

KAL Success!

I finished my Floating Cardigan for the luvinthemommyhood Tops Tanks and Tees KAL! Not only that, I also was done three whole days before the due date, and I already have it photographed! I might be sick or something - I've been weirdly productive this weekend.

Anyway, the knitting.

The yarn, Classic Elite Silky Alpaca Lace, made a gorgeously airy but still visually appealing fabric on 3.5mm needles. I can barely even feel it when I'm wearing it. I did have some bleeding issues when knitting and blocking, but with such a deep, saturated teal I'm neither surprised nor bothered. The sweater is soft and drapey with a slight halo. I think this would be a spectacular yarn for an heirloom shawl (you know, like the one I bought it for when I accidentally didn't buy enough yarn because I suck).

The pattern was sweet and easy. I did a few mods for fit, including doing the sleeves a size up and adding several inches to the body length. I added some waist shaping, although not enough it turns out. I had originally intended to put snaps up the button band, but there's no point as it doesn't close very gracefully at the bottom. It's no loss however as the fit is fantastic in the shoulder and bust, which keeps the whole thing nicely in place.

My only quibble with the design is that the little lace motif is proportionally very small on the bigger sizes. I made a modded 48" and felt the lace was too small, yet there were three bigger options beyond that. Kudos to Cecily Glowik MacDonald, though, for making a wide size range. It's rare that I get a chance to knit something in anything but the largest size.

All in all, I'm happy with the sweater and with all the work I put in to get it done in less than a month! Never let me make a laceweight sweater again, though. Please. It's lovely and all, but slooooooow.

 

Speaking of luvinthemommyhood, Shannon did a great review of my new yarn base, Solo Sock. I forgot to put the shop update on the blog on Friday, and what I put up is mostly sold now, but still, I think it's a great base and you'll love it! Watch for more next Friday!

 

2 comments:

  1. ohmygosh! em!!! it's gorgeous! i can NOT believe you did a lace weight and was done before the end date of the KAL! seriously amazing work! it's beautiful!!! and i think the fit is perfect! xoxox also about that new yarn base... yeah, i have to try that soon... my fingers are itching ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I have been wearing it all day and I love it more each time I look at it!

      And yeah, you do need to try the Solo - it's awfully nice ;)

      Delete