New in the Shop!

Monday, April 2, 2012

FO Parade: The Final Installment - Molly

I've been on a bit of a handspun kick lately - I want to make it, and I want to knit with it. This is good, because the stash does build if I don't keep on top of things. Some of my oldest handspun came from top dyed by my friend Ursa, then the dyer behind Gaia's Colours, now the voice behind the Pagan Knitter Podcast. The fibre was superwash merino in her Firefly colourway. The first time I saw a braid of this particular combination, I didn't really know how I felt about it. It made me uncomfortable, I guess, but it stayed on my mind, for almost a year. When Ursa announced that she was closing up her shop I knew it would be my last chance to snag some, so I bought it. I LOVE this colourway. The thing I love most now was the thing I disliked most in the past - a briliant neon green that absolutely will not be ignored.

I spun it on my gigantic ashford beginners spindle (seriously, the thing would make a great post-apocalyptic zombie-killing tool) and chain plied it to keep the colour together. It was a very dense yarn - a typical characteristic of beginner spinning - but it was quite even and I'm still very proud of it. Then it waited. And waited.

Eventually I found the perfect pattern - Molly by Erin Ruth. It's a cute, slightly slouchy hat with a single cable panel on a textured body. My favourite part of this hat is the tidy way the crown decreases blend with the stitch pattern. The cable shrinks down to nothing in the most satisfying way. I love it, and even though hats make my head look small (well, they allow my body to look as proportionally large as it actually is, but whatever) I plan to wear it all the time when cold weather returns next year.

Also, I changed my hair colour!

Well, that's the end of the FO parade for now folks! I'll have pretty new things to show off again soon, and I promise I won't hoard them all together like this again!

 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I've ever seen a handknit from handspun that actually had striping... way cool!

    ReplyDelete