New in the Shop!

Saturday, March 31, 2012

FO Parade, still going strong! Signature Sample Sock

So this sock has a history. When I prepare my self-striping skeins, I wind them out a certain way, tie them securely, and then loosely tie each stripe-section in a knot for safekeeping during storage. I soak them still tied, and then untie them when I'm about to apply dye.

This one time, I had it all ready to go, and separated the three sections of a self striping skein. Guess what? I had forgotten the all important step of "tie securely" from up at the beginning there. The whole sopping wet thing disintegrated in my hands - great loops of yarn were slithering all over the place and becoming horribly tangled. I didn't have time to figure it out so I threw it in a dyepot to think about what it had done. Later, I was still angry, so I threw the remaining colours of dye that had been prepared that day in the pot with the tangled skein, and stabbed it repeatedly with a spoon while loudly cursing. On the way to Abbotsford last week I slowly but surely untangled it while Jacob drove, and eventually I was able to cast on a sock to use as a sample of my Signature Sock base. This is that sock.

The colour is accurate in the first photo, but the second was too pretty not to share. And yes, i will be pressure washing the porch very soon. I am not a moss farmer.

Check out that there sock blocker - that's a wire hanger and a few minutes with google right there. I recommend checking it out - you can very comfortaby make a blocker for a women's 8 - 9 sock with something you already have in your house. And seeing as the cheapet sock blockers on the internet are $15, that's a good DIY project.

1 comment:

  1. That has to be the "prettiest" mess I've ever seen!

    Just goes to show what happy accidents can happen when you let go of some of the rules. Works in all areas of art and creativity, too.

    Love both photos of the purple, light and dark :)

    ReplyDelete