New in the Shop!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Disney Princesses that I Can Approve Of!

I'm not a big fan of Disney princesses. In fact, I'm an anti-fan. This isn't to say that I won't be letting Rei watch the movies - I loved them as a girl, and she probably will too. But, just as my parents were uncomfortable with the incredible racism in Peter Pan (hoo boy. Now that's a problematic movie that we won't be watching til we're old enough to discuss it) I'm uncomfortable with the mass marketing of a passive, hot pink femininity that can't get on with life until a prince waltzes on screen. Disney princesses make me angry. But this:


This is just awesome. Everyone and her sister is linking to these historically accurately costumed Disney princesses by DeviantArt user extrordinaire, Shoomlah, so I'm hopping on the bandwagon. It makes me want to get out my books on historical fashion and settle in with a cup of tea to stare lustily at antique embroidery. What, you don't do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment